It’s a great time to think about how you can extend your professional skillset and gain new experiences. One of the most unique ways you can do this and get more involved in the local nonprofit community is to join the YNPN of Southern Nevada Board of Directors. As a board, we are working to build a diverse and powerful social sector that can strengthen and support the professional development of our young nonprofit community. If you’re passionate about social change and empowering emerging nonprofit leaders, this is the perfect role for you!
How We Work:
At YNPN Southern Nevada, we engage and support nonprofit professionals and community leaders through professional development and networking designed to enhance the social sector in Southern Nevada. While we are a small team, we are a collaborative team. We function as thought partners and supportive colleagues. We value diverse voices at the table and we’re passionate about what we do. The YNPN Southern Nevada board is an all volunteer-led working board, and that includes governance! This means we actively do the work to operate the organization and fulfill its mission. We respect and value each other’s individual contributions and leadership styles and work in tandem for the collective good of the nonprofit community, the organization, and the team.
YNPN Southern Nevada is a local chapter of the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN), a national grassroots network with local chapters in over 40 cities.
Board members are expected to:
- Commit to a two-year term from January 2021 – December 2022 which kicks off with a Saturday board retreat in mid-January.
- Play a critical role in ensuring that we continue to realize our mission, successfully implement programming, and achieve short-term/long-term goals.
- Participate in 2-hour board meetings every month via Zoom/conference call.
- Commit approximately 12-15 hours per month to YNPN So NV. business.
- Actively participate in decision-making during virtual meetings, through e-mail, and on Slack.
- Facilitate, lead, and/or support YNPN programming and events in collaboration with board members and community partners.
- Participate in ad hoc meetings. Ad hoc meetings generally comprise of smaller committees or 1:1 collaborators around upcoming initiatives and programs. Team members work together to schedule this time.
- Make a minimum personal annual gift to the board of $100 by the mid-January board retreat. We are happy to work with board members on extending that deadline, if needed.
- Have fun! This is an enjoyable experience where you’ll work closely with amazing peers, build new relationships, and extend your network.
Board members may also serve in a director role which is intended to support high priority board operations. Current vacancies include Data Management Director, Social Media Director, Communications Director, Events Director, and Creative Director. Filling a director role is voluntary, and priority may be given to board members interested in filling a director role.
Please note: All meetings are currently conducted virtually. We will consider future in-person meetings pending COVID-19 and team preference.
- Be an ambassador for YNPN Southern Nevada: Know, model, and be able to share YNPN So. NV’s mission, vision, and values
- Be active: Participate in preparation and approval of YNPN So. NV organizational policies and be a contributing, working member
- Be present: Attend monthly board meetings, planning retreats, and as needed ad hoc committee meetings/calls and maintain open, respectful, prompt and clear communication with other Board Members during meetings, through emails and on Slack
- Be driven: Commit to your own personal professional development through classes, reading, conferences, or workshops
Qualities we are looking for:
- An interest in and willingness to support YNPN Southern Nevada’s goals and objectives
- A passion for the nonprofit/social sector (experience in the sector is desired but not required – you can gain this experience as a member of the board!)
- Shared values: Advocate Social Equity, Cultivate Professional Growth, Collaborate Intentionally, Create Community, Lead Authentically
- Firm commitment to anti-racism and EDI
- Deep commitment to advancing YNPN and the nonprofit sector
- Desire to join a collaborative team and work remotely
- Enthusiasm for supporting the professional enrichment of emerging leaders
- Respect for diversity of thought and different points of view
- Excitement to work in a harmonious team environment that prioritizes impact over intent
Application process & timeline:
To apply, you must be an active YNPN Member. Learn more about YNPN membership here.
November 13, 2020 – Deadline to apply for the 2021 YNPN So. NV board. A YNPN team member will reach out to you to schedule a meeting. The meeting is an opportunity to learn more about your hopes for this role, for you to learn more about YNPN Southern Nevada and the specifics of board service, and to answer your questions.
Late November: YNPN Southern Nevada members will vote in the slate of 2021 board member candidates. The responses you provide in your application will be shared with YNPN Southern Nevada members. This is not intended to add pressure and will instead provide members with a way to learn more about you in the voting process.
Mid-December: Candidates for the board will be notified of their acceptance to the board.
Ready to apply?! We hope so and look forward to your candidacy!